Grandparents don't have rights to their grandchildren in the State of Florida. However, we find that many times grandparents end up with temporary custody of grandchildren as a consequence of parents who are in the military or parents who are unable to care for their children. In those situations, a grandparent can petition or request temporary custody and as a consequence of that, request child support from both parents to cover the expenses related to caring for the children. In that situation, the parents would be obligated to pay child support for the grandchildren to the grandparents.