The Importance of Parenting Plans in Family Law
When parents separate through a divorce, it can be extremely difficult for children. One way parents can make the transition less cantankerous for their children is to develop a clear plan on how they will work together as parents. This process ensures the optimum stability for children during an extremely difficult time. The following information explains the importance of parenting plans in Tallahassee family law.
What is a Parenting Plan?
A parenting plan is a document that explains how you and your ex-spouse plan on taking care of the children after a divorce or separation. In Florida, a parenting plan form is required in any instance of time-sharing with underaged children, even when there isn’t a dispute. You should work with your Tallahassee family law attorney to include all practical arrangements and relevant areas of care that are required.
What Can Be Included in a Parenting Plan?
When you and your Tallahassee family law attorney create a parenting plan, it can include:
- Living arrangements for the children
- Co-parenting agreements
- A set schedule for time spent with each parent
- A schedule for holidays and special occasions, such as Father’s Day
- Parental involvement for the child’s extra-curricular events
- Financial responsibility issues
- Educational and health-related decisions
- Concerns for cultural and religious issues
- Travel guidelines when the children are included
- Provisions for situations when one parent wishes to relocate the child’s residence
- Perimeters for parental communication
- Perimeters for communication with the children
- Instructions for how the special needs of the child will be accommodated
- Instructions on how to alter the parenting plan in the future
Since every family is different, parenting plans must be tailored to fit the specific situation of the family needs. As a result, it’s imperative to have a Tallahassee family law mediator help you draft a parenting plan that works best for your child’s interest. In any case, the parenting plan should be reviewed by each party’s divorce attorney before it is incorporated into a court order. It’s vital to know how to find a divorce attorney in Tallahassee who will be able to provide you with specific instructions and information about your legal rights and responsibilities.
The Role of a Tallahassee Family Law Attorney
The primary consideration of a parenting plan is to help your child through the divorce and instill solid co-parenting practices for the best interest of the child or children. When your divorce attorney in Tallahassee helps you create a parenting plan, several circumstances between the parents must be included such as:
- The historic relationship of the parents
- Any issues of domestic violence
- Several other factors
As a result of the complexity of parenting plans, it’s best to consult with a Tallahassee divorce attorney with experience. For nearly 60 years, the Tallahassee family law and divorce attorneys at FNW Law Office have been servicing clients in Leon, Gadsden, Jackson, Washington, Taylor, Jefferson, Lee, and surrounding Northwest Florida counties. At FNW Law Office we offer confidential and professional legal counsel on a wide variety of legal issues, such as:
- Tallahassee Alimony
- Parenting Plans
- Tallahassee Child Custody Cases
- Tallahassee Mediation
- Criminal Law in Tallahassee involving Domestic Violence
- Paternity Testing in Tallahassee
- Tallahassee Child Support Cases